Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Beantown Brunch #3



Beantown Brunches #3 : Metropolis Cafe 


The South End is Boston's brunch haven. For blocks, Tremont Street is lined with luxe eateries and trendy cafes. For the first brunch of the New Year, my friend Ryan and I had planned to visit the locally-beloved Aquitaine (a $10 prix-fixe brunch is hard to beat), but to our dismay they were not open for the morning because it was not the weekend. And so we serendipitously ended up across the street (I told you, lined with brunchspots) at Metropolis... 



I am usually pretty lucky when it comes to picking out random places to eat, and today was no exception. We walked in and I was immediately satisfied with my choice. The restaurant is cozy, with a small bar (3 or 4 stools) and some booths and tables surrounding it on either side. The red walls and brick accents give the space a very warm feel, and though it is a smaller space, an entirely-mirrored wall does not make it feel tight. Most of the tables only sit two or three people though, so it's not ideal for groups. We grabbed a table in the corner, between the front window panes and the wall of mirrors, and a server was over in no time. 

 

Ryan's a bit of a critic (admittedly, I'm not the pickiest of eaters...anywhere) but we were both excited to try something new. I began brunch with a madras, which is basically the New Englander's mimosa, adding cranberry juice to the classic OJ-and-champagne breakfast cocktail.

Cheers to a new year as lovely as this morning!

For breakfast, I ordered a classic breakfast combo of eggs, homefries, and my absolute favorite (no matter how boring you think it is): toast. The eggs were as good as scrambled eggs can be, and the homefries were pretty good, although I'm a fan of the crispier variation myself. The bread they used for the toast, however, was marvelously fluffy and textured, especially for a multigrain. Plus, they serve it with Bonne Maman fruit preserves, so that's a two-thumbs-up. 

Ryan ordered the pancakes, which were actually much greater than the average flapjack. I don't really order pancakes because I'm not supposed to eat them, but I think these were pretty damn good. Portion sizes were spot on, too: we found ourselves full with only a little left over on each of our plates. Overall, Metropolis pulls off a good little brunch. I will definitely be visiting there again. 





No comments:

Post a Comment